Wednesday, March 11, 2015

"Nevadas" at Death and Taxes

I have to say, I'm a bit miffed that Death and Taxes doesn't have a Twitter account.  I guess they might have found it too "mainstream" and decided that just a Facebook page would be enough.

I've heard a lot of talk about this bar, and visually it is a great space.  I love that the bathrooms say "office" on the door and it looks like an honest to blog speakeasy/tax office.

Sadly that means the clientele are a little too hipster for their own good.  While we were there we encountered a documentary filmmaker and his crew that thought they were doing the world a favor by arriving on the scene.  A few of them went outside to smoke and didn't bother closing the door.

The bartender was very nice, and I couldn't find fault in the bar itself.  However sometimes the bar is only as good as the clientele, and they were the fatal flaw.  Since I figured I wouldn't be allowed back to this bar, I thought I'd go straight for the one that might make the short list for Official Drink of Nevada.  I ordered the "Nevadas," which is Plymouth navy gin, Orleans sherry, mandarin kaffir syrup, and lime. 

The citrus hit my taste buds right off, and comes with sage garnish. You know I love a garnish I can eat, so I was a little sad that I didn't have a snack with my drink.   It was slushy, like a drink on the strip. It was tiny, unlike a drink on the strip. In the end it sort of tasted like the margarita at Pancho and Willies.  I'd rather have a 99 cent margarita at P & W's frankly.

Because I don't have enough hipster factor to return, this might be it for Death and Taxes.  Unless American Apparel opens up a location in Northern Nevada.

Death & Taxes
26 Cheney St, Reno, NV 89501
(775) 324-2630

Monday5:00 pm – 12:00 am
Tuesday5:00 pm – 12:00 am
Wednesday5:00 pm – 12:00 am
Thursday3:00 pm – 12:00 am
Friday3:00 pm – 1:00 am
Saturday3:00 pm – 1:00 am
Sunday11:00 am – 3:00 pm











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Images by Freepik