Friday, February 13, 2015

Whiskey Sour and "Reno" Juice @1864Tavern

I have a confession.  I love 1864 Tavern.  It is everything I want in a bar.  Great affordable drinks, amazing decor, and it is a Nevada themed bar all the way. 

For those of you not paying attention in your Nevada History class, 1864 was the year we became a state.  You might remember because last year we had that whole 150th anniversary thing.  I heard it was fun.  I was in Las Vegas at the time, so I didn't really get to celebrate.  The only state they are in is the state of flux(or).

Back to happier things!  1864 Tavern has fuzzy wallpaper, and Nevada trivia cards at the tables, as well as board games so that you are intellectually stimulated as well having a good buzz going.  While I was there I heard people getting the trivia ghastly wrong, as well as a few people debating on how Tesla coming would impact our economical status in the city.  It was nice because the music wasn't so loud that the only thing I could hear was my companion yell "I'm soooooooooooooooooooo wasted!"  When that is all you've heard the last 10 years, it's nice to be back to a place where people have a brain in their heads.

I went a little while back after seeing Game Show Show at Good Luck Macbeth.   It stars the Utility Players, and everyone's favorite Amanda Alvey.  She is also a stand up comedian who happens to be my BFF.  If you are having trouble choosing a favorite female comedian in the next "Best of" poll, just pick her.  You'll be doing the right thing.

Although I usually go for a Picon Punch, I decided to branch out and order a Whisky Sour, as I saw they made it with real eggs.  (Don't worry, Neon Beast is covering the Picon Punch in the next post) I had a taste of someone else's when I was visiting Oakland that was so amazing, so I was looking forward to this one.



The bartender was new (to me), and it looked yummy to start.  I knew it would be my only boozy drink of the night, so it took awhile for me to start drinking it.  Maybe that was my mistake, because it was really sour.  The Neon Beast tried it and puckered up like that old Bitter Beer Commercial.  I liked it well enough, but I nursed it for a good long while because I couldn't take a lot at once.

Because I was driving, I decided to check out the juice menu for my next drink.
Since I'm not a big fan of Beets or Kale, I decided to go for a Reno.  Cucumber, Lemon, Honey, and Ginger seemed like it would be a good combination.  That turned out to be an understatement.  Though it was a little heavy on the ginger, it was seriously amazing.  All the flavors come together in a strong, but amazing way.  Sort of like how our state is strong.

It's non-alcoholic, but I'm calling it an official contender.  Strong flavors should represent our state.  The only thing that would make it better was if it had sage or pine.  We could link it up with Home Means Nevada and call it a day.






                                                                 The "Reno" Juice

1864 Tavern
290 California Ave, Reno, NV 89509
(775) 329-1864
Monday3:00 – 11:00 pm
Tuesday3:00 – 11:00 pm
Wednesday3:00 – 11:00 pm
Thursday3:00 – 11:00 pm
Friday3:00 pm – 2:00 am
Saturday3:00 pm – 2:00 am
Sunday3:00 – 11:00 pm
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Images by Freepik