Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Christmas Island: the Painkiller @ChapelTavern

"A modern interpretation of the Tiki classic inspired by a recent visit to the Tiki Ti in LA, one of the last original Tiki bars, Easy to drink, addicting and packs a punch.  Be careful."

So begins my seasonal quest, with a tropical drink.  Since I don't really celebrate Christmas, I find a lot of hilarity in the Christmas Island song, and that is what I thought of when I started this drink at Tavern.  This was from their seasonal menu, although I think the season was just "Winter" and not really "Holidays" oriented.  Still, I picked the Painkiller because it had Nutmeg, and I don't know of a more holiday ingredient than that.  It's in eggnog, and everyone likes eggnog!  And if you don't, you're wrong!

The last time I was in Chapel it was a packed Saturday night, where it was impossible to get a drink ordered and it seemed like an overly hipster bar.  The hipster part didn't really change with it being a Thursday night, but the crowd was much smaller.  I think there was only a total of 6 people when we walked in, although it picked up a bit by the time we left.  It's still not a place that I would personally seek out, seeing as how all the specialty drinks are $10.  The painkiller was strong, so strong in fact that it caused a little pain.  My throat started hurting by the end of the sweet, sweet drink and I went home for some warm water and salt gargle.  It's not something I would ever really try again, but there were many, many other drinks on the seasonal menu that I would give a shot to...maybe in the new year.

1099 S Virginia St, Reno, NV 89502
Monday2:00 pm – 4:00 am
Tuesday2:00 pm – 4:00 am
Wednesday2:00 pm – 4:00 am
Thursday2:00 pm – 4:00 am
Friday2:00 pm – 4:00 am
Saturday10:00 am – 4:00 am
Sunday10:00 am – 4:00 am

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Images by Freepik